Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Being Humble

I've been thinking why some people are so humble and others never. It does take a little effort from our side when we wish to be humble but but at the end, it does pay off to be humble and kind. These thoughts came to mind when I was observing the behaviors of the judges of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Challenge 2007. How some of them are nice and polite most of the times and others like a volcano waiting to go off.

So then it made me think what makes people humble? May be the way they were raised as children, their experiences in life, their outlook towards life, or the people who surround them in real life, and may be many more things. I wondered whether these people are liked more than their counterparts. I thought so. It is said in our scriptures also, "Vidyaa vinayena shobhate". The closest I could get with translation is "humility beautifies learning". I could not find a word in English that means vidyaa. There is a saying in Gujarati as well "name te sau ne game", means the "humble ones are liked by everyone". As Lucy Ricardo would say, "you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar".

Mind you, being humble might also help with getting someone to do us a favor. This might be selfish thinking, but aren't we all? Reminds me of that book I read by Dale Carnegie. It's called How to Win Friends and Influence People. What a marvelous book! I wish every person got a chance to read it. It would make this world a better place.

No comments: